Monday, November 10, 2014

Homemade Ice Cream Making 101

So today I uploaded my very first YouTube video!! It's very exciting for me! 

I did a tutorial for making Homemade Ice Cream. If you know me at all - you know I don't really like being on camera or having my picture taken unless it's under my own parameters. However, for my Church calling, I was put in charge of a Christmas Recipe Exchange for our Christmas Faire. So I bit the bullet and created a video.
Here it is ... please be kind. It's grainy, fuzzy, and out of focus at times, but it's my first effort and I'm really proud of it!

Video

Here is the recipe if you feel so inclined to actually make the ice cream now that you know the basic:

Peppermint Ice Cream

8 Large Egg Yolks             2½ cup Heavy Cream
1 ½ cup Whole Milk         2 tsp. Peppermint Oil Extract, Real Stuff
¾ cup White Sugar           ½ cup Crushed Candy Canes
1 tsp. Salt
                 
*      In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Set aside.
*      Fill a large bowl with ice cubes and put a smaller bowl on top with a mesh strainer on top. Set in the fridge to keep cold.
*      On the stove, warm the milk, sugar, salt, and peppermint extract in a medium saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
*      To make the custard, slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks a Tablespoon at a time to temper the eggs until all eggs are incorporated.
*      Whisk constantly to avoid curdling, then scrape back into the saucepan.
*      Heat over medium heat, while stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon and scraping the bottom of the pan as you stir in a figure Eight motion.
*      Continue to heat and stir until the mixture thickens into a custard and coats the back of the spatula.
*      Retrieve the Ice Bowl from the fridge and pour the cream into the top bowl.
*      Strain the custard through the mesh strainer and stir it into the cream.
*      Stir until cool over the ice bath.
*      Chill overnight in the refrigerator.
*      When ready to churn then freeze the custard in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
*      Once the ice cream has frozen to a soft ice cream, transfer to an airtight container and mix in the candy cane pieces.

*      Freeze for at least 4 hours.

No comments: