I was inspired by my friend Sarah, I had the most incredible soup yesterday for
Sunday lunch at hers and I thought I would come up with my own concoction.
Here is a recipe I created today.
Just Really Good Soup:
3 cups broth (low-sodium)
2 cans (14 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup soybean, frozen or fresh
3 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 small onion
2 cloves minced garlic
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cups fresh or frozen green beans
1 zucchini, diced
1 yellow squash, diced
1 tsp cayenne pepper
- In a large crockpot, add broth, tomato sauce, beans, and herbs.
- In a large frying pan, melt coconut oil and sauté garlic, onions, green beans, zucchini, squash, and carrots for about 5 minutes or until al dente.
- Sprinkle cayenne pepper and cover pan allowing the cayenne to steep the veggies for 1 minute.
- Combine sautéed vegetables with the ingredients in the crockpot.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until vegetables are cooked.
NOTE: This makes a large batch of soup. If you would like to freeze portions of it to use later, undercook the vegetables just a little. Pour the soup into freezer Ziplock bags and let as much air out as you can. Lay the bags flat on a cookie sheet and freeze. Once the soup is frozen flat, it is easy to layer in your freezer and won't take up much room. To thaw, place the bag in the fridge for 24 hours and then reheat.