Friday, November 7, 2008

I Am NOT Polical ...

However, this Prop 8 issue is really worrying me. I just read a friend's (Ben) report of what happened at the LA Temple last night and it's pretty scary:

“As additional information for those who missed the news, I was at the temple assisting in the security efforts and it was quite an experience. Our temple is safe and no damage was done on the grounds.

It was a site I never expected to see. At one point we had let in about 20 police vehicles through the gates because they were afraid their vehicles would be damaged as civilian cars were being vandalized. I removed the Utah plates from my truck just so I could drive through the mess and park blocks away. Two full squads of LAPD in riot gear set up their base inside the temple grounds while SWAT vehicles and hundreds of officers followed the crowds run up Santa Monica and Wilshire Boulevards. I've heard that the crowd was estimated to be over 2,500. The officers inside the temple grounds made a line on the front lawn by the fence. At one point, with 7 news and police helicopters overhead, the crowd began to climb the fence and it looked like there was going to be a lot of trouble. We had it seemed a good forth of a Polynesian ward there so it could have gotten very interesting very fast.

While I was there, I was not aware of anyone actually breaching the fence, but we were asked to move far across the parking lot as they were anticipating the need to shoot tear gas canisters. I never thought I would see the day when police officers would sit perched on the spire of our temple as lookouts.

All of this happened at about 7:30pm. It should be remembered that most likely many of the law enforcement were not in favor of our stance on Proposition 8, but nevertheless, the men and women were there doing their duty and protecting our property. For that we are grateful. And yes, there was an incident with some of our members who had gone to remove the protest signs from the front fence. One of the protesters did initiate physical contact with one of our sisters so the details are uncertain as to whether the response was fully justified. The lesson to be learned is that it's important to anticipate and avoid such confrontational situations. Remember the world is watching our reaction and the media is everywhere. In the end, when we keep our cool, the video footage speaks the truth regarding which side is really intolerant and appears hateful when we simply do not respond or do so in a loving and controlled manner.

I can testify that I felt the presence of others protecting the temple… those we could not physically see there tonight. We are protected and our Father in Heaven is mindful of our efforts and willingness to withstand persecution. As far as the temple being open or not, I do not have any official word. The decision to close it today came from Church headquarters in the afternoon and I imagine they will have to evaluate the situation day to day. Since protesting has occurred the past 2 days, I imagine in will happen again tomorrow and as long as people can keep it up without losing their day jobs.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This scares me so much, they are protesting with violence and hate, which they are accusing us to have. We just don't want OUR choice to teach our children and believe that marriage should be between a man and a women.

Prophet Thomas S. Monson said, "It is important to understand that this issue for the church has always been about the sacred and divine institution of marriage -- a union between a man and a woman," according to [his] statement.

"Allegations of bigotry or persecution made against the church were and are simply wrong. The church's opposition to same-sex marriage neither constitutes nor condones any kind of hostility toward gays and lesbians.

"Even more, the church does not object to rights for same-sex couples regarding hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the traditional family or the constitutional rights of churches."

As I was walking home last night, I didn't know about this protest and I couldn't understand the traffic problem I was having to weave through to get home from Bed, Bath and Beyond, a mere 7 blocks from my home. The streets were so jammed, I could barely cross the streets. Now I understand and I'm happy I was safe.

Thank you Heavenly Father for watching out for ALL of us in this terrible time. Please watch over our leaders and loved ones and help us understand and be even more tolerant and loving towards those who are blind to the truths. I know this won't go away, but I sincerly hoope for even ground at the least and understanding and respect for each other!

No comments: